Eco-Friendly, Green Cleaning Products BlogHome Page Intros

3 Reasons to Never Use Bleach in Your Home

Bleach, bleach, bleach…we really like to talk about bleach. But it’s for a good reason. Mostly because it’s a relatively corrosive chemical that is almost universally used – some would say way too much — in our homes, schools, and workplaces. It’s also not as effective as you might imagine.We’re not totally anti-bleach, but we do think there are better and safer alternatives out there. And here’s why.

1. It’s not effective against mold
Don’t look at us. According to multiple health sources, bleach is not an effective agent on its own when it comes to mold. So if you’ve been splashing the stuff all over those moldy spots in your house, you might want to look for something a bit better. Because I can almost guarantee you that mold is coming right back.

2. It can be toxic when used improperly
Bleach on its own is corrosive…which is how it destroys all that nasty grime and bacteria. But it can become toxic if it’s mixed with improper chemicals. One example of these chemicals is ammonia, another agent found in many, many other cleaners – gee, how convenient. When mixed, the two form fumes that are toxic if inhaled and can be extremely dangerous to adults, not to mention
children and pets.

3. There’s no real regulation on bleach
There really isn’t a governmental body that regulates bleach and bleach-based products. Not even the FDA really has a say when it comes to this sort of thing. Instead, bodies like the EPA make information and warnings about bleach publicly available, suggesting that it’s never mixed with other chemicals and that masks and gloves are used when handling it. But aside from that, it more-or-less
free game.

Previous post

Mother’s Day: The Importance of a Clean House

Next post

Can face masks help with allergies and pollen?

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *